Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Windhand

Saturday I went to New Orleans to see Windhand play with The Blood Royale (see post here: Blood Royale). I heard about Windhand a few months ago and I really like their music and they aren't coming to Texas so I decided to head out to Nola to see them play. I have to say, it was totally worth it. They began their badass set with the song Winter Sun off their self titled album. The rest of the songs they played were new which was kind of disappointing because I had wanted to hear the stuff off their album but they were awesome none the less. Winter Sun is also my favorite song of theirs so I was happy that they at least played that. I think the best way to describe their music would be ethereal doom. While they are definitely a doom metal band, they have a kind of distant, airy quality to their music that really sets them apart from other doom metal bands. They are clearly influenced by Black Sabbath but I don't think that overshadows their originality. Dorthia Cottrell's vocals can best be described as beautiful, floaty and, like I said before, ethereal. Her voice just seems to soar through the music, emerging as a separate entity while still being firmly grounded in it. Guitarists Garrett Morris and Asechiah Bogdan create an impressive, delicate and unearthly sound that soared through the room. They were backed by the rhythm section consisting of bassist Parker Chandler and drummer Ryan Wolfe who really kept the music moving forward. Pretty much, they totally rocked and I was so glad that I made the trek out there to see them. Blood Royale kicked ass as always and overall the show was a great experience. Check out their facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Windhand/115952841804204. Hopefully they'll come to Austin soon!


Dorthia Cottrell (vocals), Garrett Morris (guitar), Asechiah Bogdan (guitar), Parker Chandler (bass), Ryan Wolfe (drums)

Windhand


Windhand


Windhand


IMG_6837.jpg


Windhand


Windhand


Windhand


Windhand


Windhand


Windhand

2 comments: