Sunday, March 18, 2012

SXSW- High on Fire

I love High on Fire so I was really excited to see them at Scoot Inn on Friday. After waiting for half an hour and having to listen to OFF! from outside the gate, we finally got in right before they went on. The crowd went crazy when they got on stage and I have to say, their performance was amazing. Obviously live shows are more fun than just listening to the album at home (though I enjoy that, too) but I thought High on Fire was way better live. I love their albums, but they just have so much charisma and electricity on stage. Not only that, but they were totally on with the music. The last two songs they played are two of my favorites- Blood from Zion off of The Art of Self Defense and the title track off Snakes for the Divine. I feel like in some of their songs they let the rhythm instruments really take prominence to great effect. I felt it in Blood from Zion with drummer Des Kensel taking the lead and it sounded awesome. Then there was Snakes for the Divine where bassist Jeff Matz took center stage with some amazing bass lines. Guitarist Matt Pike totally killed it the entire show and played some incredible riffs (as I was hoping he would). I can't say much that hasn't already been said about High on Fire, so I'll just leave you with this: they were great and, regardless of whether you were there or not, catch them next time they're in town!


High on Fire: Matt Pike (vocals, guitar), Jeff Matz (bass), Des Kensel (drums)

High on Fire


High on Fire


High on Fire


High on Fire


High on Fire


High on Fire





No comments:

Post a Comment