Monday, December 12, 2011

Mala Suerte and Las Cruces

Friday night I saw yet another awesome show at Red 7. I know I say that every time, but I don't go to the shows of bands I don't like. Mala Suerte went on first and defied their name with a kick ass show. I think they're a little too viscous to be called doom metal, but if you throw stoner/psychedelic metal in the pot, you'd be about right. Eyehategod, among others, has been an obvious influence on their unique, thick sound and gruff vocals. They didn't rush through the songs but certainly didn't have a lack of energy. I enjoyed the music and the whole band's stage presence.

Las Cruces, on the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to call doom metal. They hail from San Antonio and played the last show of the evening, also on the outside stage. Their heavy bass line and gnarly riffs exemplified the genre while at the same not falling into the same basic mold. Their drummer, Paul De Leon is also their vocalist which is rather unusual but they certainly pulled it off. I can think of a few bands who might be boring without their energetic vocalist, but the same cannot be said about Las Cruces. His clear but ferocious voice boomed out at the audience and was a great accompaniment to his drumming as well as to the rest of the music. The show was fantastic and I don't think anyone could disagree with me.


Mala Suerte: Gary Rosas (vocals), David Guerrero (guitar), Vincent Pina (guitar), Mike Reed (bass), Tony Brownlow (drums)

IMG_0170.jpg


IMG_0242.jpg


IMG_0181.jpg


IMG_0254.jpg


IMG_0213.jpg


IMG_0166.jpg


IMG_0248.jpg


IMG_0175.jpg


IMG_0330.jpg


IMG_0320.jpg


Las Cruces: Mando Tovar (lead guitar), George Trevino (rhythm guitar), Jimmy Bell (bass), Paul De Leon (vocals, drums)

IMG_0342.jpg


IMG_0358.jpg


IMG_0379.jpg


IMG_0333.jpg


IMG_0354.jpg


IMG_0383.jpg


IMG_0373.jpg


IMG_0369.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Awesome. I got video of it we may see one day lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words and great pics, Madison. I'd definitely like to see the rest. Have fun in Europe. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mouths and the hair - you've got them covered. Excellent shots.

    ReplyDelete