Sunday, December 25, 2011

Eskisi Gibi (Istanbul, Turkey)

The main thing that I wanted to do on my vacation in Turkey was to take pictures, namely of a local band. Luckily, I went to a record store on one of my first days here and met a cool local metal head. I happened to mention that I really wanted to see a show here, and he offered to take my sister and I to a hardcore/punk show the next night. Despite the pouring rain that night, the venue, Dogz Star, was packed. The band, Eskisi Gibi, roughly translated as "like the old days," or "as before," was badass. While definitely a punk band, the music is relatively melodic but with the characteristic harsh, screaming vocals of punk music. I would say that their music is different from a typical American punk band although I'm not sure if that sound is typical of Turkish punk bands or not. Although he is capable of singing in English, the vocalist chooses to sing exclusively in Turkish. The show was awesome and not only because it was in Istanbul. I really enjoyed the music and it was obvious that everyone else at the show did, too. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to shoot a local Turkish band!



Eskisi Gibi: Kerem Onan (vocals), Ersin Çağlayan (guitars), Cenk Turanlı (bass), Barış Çelenk (drums)


IMG_1461.jpg


IMG_1512.jpg


IMG_1516.jpg


IMG_1554.jpg


IMG_1509.jpg


IMG_1532.jpg


IMG_1562.jpg


IMG_1528.jpg


IMG_1557.jpg

3 comments:

  1. hey madison what about the lifelock?
    here is my set from that night, cheers!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.278361768878319.56732.100001134937870&type=3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! I had to leave before you played! Let me know if you ever tour the US and I'll do my best to go!

    ReplyDelete